Eliminate Preventable Losses
While running your business it’s easy to overlook small, preventable risks that add up to preventable losses. Work with me to eliminate them. Let’s quickly improve your business & operational resilience.
Why Work With Me?
I focus on one detail at a time. I don’t multi-task. That’s why I’m able to do great Applied Resilience Engineering, which means I sweat the details so you can keep running & building your business with confidence.
Who Am I?
My name is Chad Calease. Professionally, I’m a partner to business leaders across diverse industries, disciplines & sectors (going on 20 years, now) to prepare & protect their operations against preventable losses across contexts. Personally, my Twitter bio sums me up well: he/him, parent, partner, ludic, neurodivergent, grateful for many gifts. Mom said, “There’s always one weirdo on every bus.” But I can never find them.
How Does This Work?
The process is fast, friendly & you won’t believe what you’ll learn about your operations. Through some quick conversations, I build an outline of your current-state risk & threat models. Then, together we decide what next steps make sense for you & your specific organization. I will ensure we don’t over-engineer things. We’ll build a strategy aligned with the size & scope of your industry, as well as relevant compliance laws to demonstrate your commitment to good practices for your own clients. The entire diagnostic process can take a few days to a few weeks, depending on the complexity of your operations.
How Might I Help?
I often answer questions like:
- “We’ve been hacked! Can you help?” I prefer to work with clients pro-actively before something not awesome happens but it’s not unusual to be introduced to clients on the worst day of their lives. I’m experienced with Digital Forensics & Incident Response across a broad spectrum of events.
- “Is our technology fit-for-purpose?” I might analyze your current IT, security & general technology environment & help you define, prioritize & measure alignment to the needs of your organization & then address gaps.
- “Is my office/home network secure?” I might assess your operational resilience then help you prioritize & mitigate concerns.
- “Are we aligned to industry expectations?” I might assess your organization’s alignment to your industry’s compliance expectations with international privacy & data protection frameworks, laws & standards, including ISO, GDPR, HIPAA, PCI, CCPA & more.
- “Who has access to our (and our clients) information?” I might help you define and reduce your organization’s third-party risk to meet the expectations of existing and/or new business clients.
- “We need everything. Can you help?” I might design & help you build lean, predictable startup technology infrastructure & strategy to make the most of your investments in IT, resilience, risk management, & outsourcing to the cloud.
Some commonly-requested services include:
- Help your organization provide informed & appropriate responses to your clients’ security/GRC (Governance, Risk, & Compliance) questionnaires & requirements
- Help you build operational resilience against a broad spectrum of unplanned events & changes that impact your productivity, reputation, & bottom line
- Guide you through strategic incident response to unplanned disruptions to your business, like cybercrime, human error, & global events
- CrashCourse –> In 20 minutes or less, I will elevate your team’s understanding & capacity to handle unplanned events that disrupt regular business operations
- Advise on how to create & formally introduce your own, internal resilience program & team/steering committee
- Serve as your board’s technology, information security & resilience subject matter expert
- Help you build a resilience mindset & a team culture focused on eliminating preventable losses across your operations
- Establish your 3rd-party risk assessment process for governance, risk management & compliance purposes
- Verify you’re not over/under-cyber/liability-insured
- Keep you informed on current, relevant & emerging threats & applied resilience engineering practices
- Conduct annual team incident-response simulations (remote/table-top)
- Ensure technical information brought to you is accurate, complete & what actions to take with it
Pragmatic vs. Academic
It’s not uncommon for IT and/or security advisors to be strictly academic in their recommendations. In reality, it’s okay to have good as a starting or short-term goal, to elevate your organization’s resilience quickly & achieve a sustainable & workable approach with great as a longer-term goal.
My guidance is tailored to your needs, capabilities & budget. Technology and/or security purism has its place but I focus on outcomes that produce value right away.
I Make Complex Things Friendly
I make boring things fun. I work with diverse audiences about technology, security, & resilience problems & solutions all day long. I use cool pictures, audio, video, stories, & memorable metaphors that make sense to everyday people. My training activities & materials aren’t typical, snore-inducing, or face-melting.
When Might I Help?
I can help when you’re frustrated or impatient about the IT, security, & resilience (or lack thereof) in your organization. Maybe you’re concerned about your alignment to industry standards & risks to your organization. I can help you ask the right questions of your current providers & also the accuracy and completeness of the responses you receive.
I Work For You
While I work with you, your team, vendors, partners and/or service providers, I have allegiance only to you. I provide an agnostic, objective & practical perspective. My analysis, synthesis & guidance are truly independent. I answer only to you. I focus on your interests & concerns.
Confidentiality: Every conversation with me is confidential. A mutual non-disclosure agreement can be arranged.
How Can I Help You?
This is the most important question.
- Are you a CFO/COO seeking guidance on risk management & compliance?
- Are you a writer/journalist/researcher?
- Legal counsel seeking expert witness/SME?
- VC/Board Member seeking an external perspective/resource?
- Student or new to technology looking for mentoring?
Please get in touch using the contact info below.